Have you stopped to think how times have changed? Do you remember the days when you had to pay for any kind of online or news paper advertising?
I remember reading an article in the New York Times in 2010 discussing the Internet’s phenomenon and the rise of amateur online bloggers in the media.
In fact, Magazines, Designer, PR firms and traditional media are giving noted respect to top bloggers with invites to all the hottest events, free goodies and even hefty paychecks for their undivided attention. Even radio stations had to become Internet savvy with world wide online streams of their programming. And now hear I am, sitting at my desk overlooking the city with a cup of tea sharing my latest research with you in an era of “new media.” The Internet has changed the way we communicate and share information with each other. This change has bread a new generation of highly intelligent and demanding people who want to be entertained. So if you want to draw attention to your products, music, services or web site, you have to evolve into what I like to call a highbred web site. This kind of web site is interactive and rich in social media formatted content. Most importantly, it’s a web site that is updated with fresh fun content often. Weather your sharing photos, daily journals, music, jokes or reporting the latest fashions a blog is the method of choice to own your page and build a following. With that said, its important for you to understand the blogging basics. Here are my top 10 Blogging tips.
Top 10 Tips For Blogging
1) Pretty up your page: use a personal photo or business logos to pretty up your posts and pages. Try to create an interesting and unique page without using a background thats to distracting. A great thing to do, is try out different themes available on sites like wordpress and blogger, then add in your photos and banners for a more interesting and personal touch.
2) Plan Ahead – Try to prepare your content 1 week in advance whenever possible and edit your content often to keep it current. I don’t always have that much time so I like to keep an on going list of topics on my ipad that my fans have requested and research something every day. I also use the wordpress app on my iPad to quickly update posts on the road.
3) Blog often – Keep your page active so your subscribers will always see fresh new content when they visit your page.
4) Be casual and transparent- Keep things simple and honest. Direct your tone towards your readers not over them.
5) Establish your brand voice- Carefully select your image and stay consistent to that theme on your blog.
6) Photo’s- Pictures are a great way to engage your followers so always use at least one photo in your posts.
7) Respond- Always respond to your client and fans. Social media is about building relationships.
8) Link- Use links often to other sites and posts to allow your readers to see more information in support of your content. Be generous to your readers and remember search engines favor valid links. Also remember to proudly post your social media links at the top of your blog and also in your posts.
9) Contests- Everyone knows blog contests and promotions are one of the best ways to bring attention to your blog and bring in new signups. Set up a solid signup that integrates into your social pages so you can make the most of your contest and even get some viral traffic flowing. (I’ll be targeting how to set up a great signup page in a future post so be sure to subscribe)
10) Target Long Tail Keywords instead of single word tags on your posts. Long tail keywords are ones that don’t get the most searches per month but don’t have a lot of competition either. See where I’m going with this?? Setting your target for long tail keywords can get your blog more traffic faster because your going after keywords that others are not directly targeting.
I credit most of my research for this article to the amazing media gurus at Apple and the many top master bloggers I have had the privilege of speaking with over the past few month. I have a ton of more specific blogging tips for you and will be posting those weekly but if you have a question or request for a future post, just leave me a comment below.
Now go start your blog and send me your first link Www.twitter.com/JacquelineJax
Host of A.V.A Live Radio
You may also like:
My Top 10 Facebook Tips
Tips for Better Tweets
Conquer your Stage Fright
Building an online fan base